Friday, April 2, 2010

#1 A Revolution Has Begun


NaPoWriMo, or National Poetry Writing Month, is an annual project in which participating poets attempt to write a poem a day for the month of April. This is my attempt at 30 poems in 30 days.

A revolution has begun today for me inside, the ultimate defense is to pretend
I let these words reverberate within me
I repeat them like a child discovering echoes for the first time.
There are love songs, their lyrics like the texture of a well-made suit
They wrap around shoulders like a lover's whisper

Our purpose and our passions press down
Words are wheels, carrying the weight
After all, our pretense sprouts from fear
We all fear.
Or we all lie.

We accuse the Revolutionary of stirring up the people
As if pointing to dreams and fuelling the pursuit of vision was a crime
God is light and we are afraid of being exposed
He is seen but He is not understood
We prefer our flaws kept hidden in the shadows
Why do we keep crucifying Salvation?
Does what has always been mean that it should always be?
Separate these heavy expectations
They are beyond me

- Daryl Goh

No comments:

Post a Comment